Monday, May 28, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner











This was a great weekend. I had a Pinterest Party with friends on Friday, attended the Logan's Martial Arts Academy Annual Picnic on Saturday, and then on Monday was fortunate enough to get to cook for my friend's family. This is the same chica who had friends that set up a meal train for her while she kicks cancer's ass.

Perusing her list of meal train menus I noticed no one had served them any alternatives to dinner so I thought about how much my family loves to have breakfast for dinner. I also have to say that I make a quiche (thanks to Jean Jacob's original recipe) that has been described as magical because it makes "spinach taste like bacon." It was a no brainer. I made spinach, bacon, and swiss quiche, blueberry french toast casserole which has this warm berry syrup (I addGrand Marnier to the syrup as it cooks for a little kick) to drizzle on top, and some fresh fruit and a vanilla yogurt sauce (yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla bean paste) to add creaminess to the fruit. My house smelled like heaven and the aroma left me wanting nothing but butter toffee coffee all day.
It is an unusual meal for Memorial Day but I hope it will be nourishing and soothing to every one's bodies and souls.
Spinach, Bacon, & Swiss Quiche
2 9 inch deep
dish pie crust (I don't do home made pie crust. Not because I don't want to but because it lea
ves me miserable each time I try)
10 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk or half & half (I always use half & half)
1 pkg bacon pieces or 1/2 pound cooked and crumbled bacon
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed with the water squeezed out
1/2 onion grated
1-2 cups of shredded swiss cheese (I grate my own)
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 t black pepper
dash of nutmeg

In a 350 oven blind bake the pie crusts for about 5 minutes. In a bowl mix eggs, add milk and then all the other ingredients. Pour into crusts and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until tops are brown and puffy. Make sure the centers are solid. If they are getting too done and the middle is still jiggly, turn off the oven, cover with foil, and let them rest in the oven for up to 10 more minutes. This is delicious any time of day. I save the leftovers and nuke. This is also a great recipe to make crustless if you are gluten free or paleo or just hate crust like I do. You can make it in little ramekins.


No comments:

Post a Comment