Sunday, April 15, 2012

Whose Yer Daddy?


Or Mama as the case may be???
I did it! I finally got it together enough to try my hand at Shrimp-n-Grits. I have spent a lot of time online surfing recipes to try to come up with something that sounded just right. That being said I have only ever tasted Shrimp-n-Grits off other peoples' forks at restaurants. I've had it from Harry's and most recently from the glorious Angelette's. If you have not been to Angelette's by all means try it.
So I also had to consult Weight Watchers since I started it again last Monday. I found a link to a member's post of a Southern Living recipe. I emulated it the most. Keeping in mind that I measure nothing and cook by smell, I am going to include a guesstimated recipe. That means YMMV and I can not be held responsible if yours comes out like soup :p It was simple and I served it with sauteed fresh yellow squash and cheddar garlic biscuits from a mix. I hope you'll try it and find it as delicious as my Favorite First Husband did. Rumor has it he used a biscuit to clean the plate.

Shrimp-n-Grits
Ingredients
2 T olive oil
4 small sweet red & yellow peppers finely diced
1/2 an onion
1 T minced garlic (I used jarred- so spank me)
3 raw strips of bacon diced
2 T butter
1 1/2 T all purpose flour
1 T Tony's Cajun Seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 T Frank's Red Hot Sauce (adjust per your peeps' tastes)
1 T chicken base and 1 1/2 cups water mixed or 1 1/5 cups chicken stock
1 tsp lemon juice
1 pound cooked, peeled, tail & head off shrimp (thawed)
4 scallions (I cut them with kitchen shears)
1/4 cup half and half

3 cups water
3/4 cup quick cooking grits
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup half and half

Directions

In a skillet heat olive oil and then add peppers, garlic, and onion. When I added the onion I grated it into the pan so the sauce would be smoother in the end. Sautee until soft then add diced bacon and cook until lightly browned. Add the butter to the pan and once it has melted add the flour, Tony's and black pepper. Mix and cook slowly over low heat until a light red-brown sort of brick color.

In a sauce pan add the 3 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Add the salt and whisk in the grits. Turn the grits to low, cover and turn your attention back to your roux in the skillet.

Add in your Worcestershire and Frank's. Then stir in your chicken base and water or stock to the skillet. Add the lemon juice. Sauce should thicken quickly but let it bubble a minute or two so all the ingredients get friendly. Add your thawed shrimp and your scallions to the mix and place a lid on the skillet to continue a low simmer for another 2 minutes.

In the sauce pan with your grits, stir in the black pepper and half and half. Then add the half and half to the skillet with the shrimp, and mix. Turn the heat to both off and serve it up piping hot with a veggie and biscuits. It made 6 servings.


This recipe is devoid of cheese as my favorite First Husband is not a fan but some Parmesan mixed in with the shrimp and the grits would be a delicious addition. I hope you will give it a try. I would guesstimate it at about 12 WW Plus Points. I try to make my foods healthy but I will not sacrifice taste. You could use light butter, and fat-free canned evaporated milk instead of half and half to save considerable fat and calories. I really wanted it to be creamy and luscious because this dish was a Sunday night love letter to the man who pumps my gas, rubs my toes, encourages me to drink wine, eat candy, go back to college and hang out with my friends. *swoon*

No comments:

Post a Comment