Thursday, December 26, 2013

x~ Pucker Pie ~x

I have a friend Velva who is so generous with her garden. She always offers me whatever she has growing at the time. This time she shared Meyers lemons from her overproducing tree. If you check out her blog you will see all the wonderful things she made with her lemons. Knowing my husband loves lemon desserts, I turned to Pinterest to find a great idea. I stumbled upon this recipe from Serious Eats for Shaker Pie.

First off, any recipe that does not require me to blanch or peel fruit is appealing but this recipe I had to make because it sounded insane. Whole lemons? In a pie? The results was wonderful but puckerful. We renamed the pie, "Pucker pie" because while it is delicious it is VERY tart.

First I washed and sliced the lemons on a mandolin, added 2 cups of sugar and went Christmas shopping.
Washed lemons from Velva.
Add 2 cups of sugar and macerate for at least 2 hours

 Then I mixed eggs, egg yolks, and flour together and added it to the lemons. Next step was to pour it all in a pie crust and then put it behind bars :p er I mean to set it on the bottom rack of the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
3 Whole eggs,  2 egg yolks, and 3 T flour combined with the lemons and pour into an unbaked crust

Pie jail

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes on the bottom rack.


After 20 minutes turn the oven down and bake as you would normally. The pie should puff in the center when done after about another 20 minutes.

Aerial view

Baked for another 20 minutes at 350.
The result!

Both a custard and a fruit filled pie. This is one mother pucker of a pie!




No comments:

Post a Comment